Important: You must provide proof of citizenship or legal residency when you apply for a license. GDA requires S&V (Secure & Verifiable) documents for all licensees. See the S&V Details page and S&V FAQ for complete information.
Reminder: Please make sure your mailing address, email, and phone number are up-to-date, and that your voicemail is not full. There will be a delay in getting your license if we need to reach you but don't have usable contact information.
GDA’s Companion Animals program manages Kennel licenses. For more details, including a full list of regulations, see the Companion Animal program page.
You Need this License If
You own an establishment, other than an animal shelter, where dogs or cats are maintained for boarding, holding, training, or similar purposes for a fee or compensation. Similar purposes include, but are not limited to, activities of a breeding establishment, cattery, or grooming shop.
Fees and License Period
Licenses are good for 1 year beginning from the time your payment is processed.
The fee depends on your capacity.
How to Apply for or Renew your License
Before you apply for a license, make sure that you’re complying with your local ordinances. Some cities or counties have rules that limit the number of animals on a property. A State license doesn’t absolve you from compliance.
Complete your applications and renewals for Kennel licenses online through Kelly Registration Systems using the links below. You must pay online as part of the license process. If you have questions about making payments, see our Payments page.
Renew your license before it expires!
Your license expires 12 months after being issued. After the expiration date, you will incur a late fee of 100% of the license fee. By law, GDA cannot waive or exempt this fee.
If you allow your license to expire, you may not continue business until all fees are paid and your license is brought current. Continuing business without an active license is a violation of the Animal Protection Act rules.
What Happens When You Apply for a License
- When you apply online for your license, we will review your application and contact you if we have any questions.
- You will receive a visit from one of our inspectors to do a pre-inspection. If the inspector finds any problems they will work with you to resolve them. You cannot move further in the licensing process until you have passed your pre-inspection and your application has been approved.
- You will then receive an email requesting your S&V paperwork.
- Once your S&V paperwork has been received and approved, you will be notified by email how to log in and pay your license fee.
- When you pay your fee, your license certificate will be mailed to you within 1 - 7 business days.
Respond promptly to any questions or notifications, and make sure GDA can contact you if needed!
What we require on your application:
- Your physical and mailing addresses
- A valid phone number and email address
- Your physical capacity (if in Georgia)
- Names and addresses of your corporation officers or partners, or members of your organization
- Record of any prior license violations or animal cruelty charges
Log in with your License Number and password to renew. Forgot your password? Recover it from the password recovery page or contact our Customer Service Center at the number below.