Over the past several years, steps have been taken toward change in how medically important antibiotics can be legally used in feed or water for food producing animals. The Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) final rule outlines the process for authorizing use of VFD drugs and provides veterinarians with a framework for authorizing the use of medically important antimicrobials in feed when needed for specific animal heath purposes.
A VFD Order is a written statement issued by a licensed veterinarian in that authorizes the use of a VFD drug or combination VFD drug in or on an animal feed. The written statement authorizes the client to obtain and use animal feed bearing or containing the VFD drug or combination VFD drug to treat the client’s animals.
A VFD drug is a drug intended for use in or on animal feed, which is limited to use under the professional supervision of a licensed veterinarian. A combination VFD drug is an approved combination of new animal drugs intended for use in or on animal feed under the professional supervision of a licensed veterinarian, and at least one of the new animal drugs in the combination is a VFD drug.
Visit the FDA website for more VFD information.
- VFD Overview (video)
- Fact Sheet: VFD Final Rule and Next Steps
- List of FDA-Approved VFD Distributors in the State of Georgia
- Frequently Asked Questions about Animal Drugs
- VFD Overview - For Veterinarians (video)
- VFD Requirements for Veterinarians
- VFD Requirements for Veterinarians (Brochure)
- Example VFD Order
- VFD Requirements for Veterinary Students
- VFD Requirements for Veterinary Students (Brochure)
- VFD Overview - For Animal Producers (video)
- VFD Requirements for Producers
- VFD Requirements for Producers (Brochure)
- VFD Overview - For Feed Distributors (video)
- Small Entity Compliance Guide - VFD Regulation Q&A
- VFD Distributor Requirements for distributors who manufacture VFD feeds
- VFD Requirements for Distributors Who Manufacture VFD Feeds (Brochure)
- VFD Distributor Requirements for distributors who do NOT manufacture VFD feeds
- VFD Requirements for Distributors Who Do Not Manufacture VFD Feeds (Brochure)